Saturday, December 24, 2011

Why I am leaving a job after 9 years

I try really hard not to post negative things online.  But I really want to put this out there.  I haven't decided what's "in it for me" to put this out there, I guess I am hoping that someone might see that even though we feel like we have to stay in a situation, we don't.  I also just want to be honest about why after 9 years I finally am walking away from a job I have loved.

I have been at LFPC for 9 yrs and 4 months.  In my time there I have made GREAT friends, lifetime friends, one that has been in my hospital room for the delivery of both my children.  I have friends there that will remain friends outside the walls of LFPC FOR SURE.  Other friends that have touched my heart in special ways but I wonder if we will drift apart because we just carry a friendship while at work but do very little outside LFPC/or talk except but at work.  And then I have the "friends" that have gossiped about me, I've walked out of rooms to hear them talking crap on me.  Happy to say goodbye to those friendships, but so very sad not to see the others 4 days a week!

I have had my ups and downs w/ this practice, patiently or not so patiently survived through their hasty decisions.  Survived through being on phentermine (made me a very paranoid, anxious, jerk nicely stated)which almost cost me my job and work friends which was intensified by a person that lied, gossiped, and stirred up trouble enough to alienate me. Once being the ONLY person not invited to a dual birthday party. I rose above that, and that was probably my hardest month ever!  Survived MANY changes.

If your my friend, you know my love or people and I believe excellent customer service still exists.  I was at LFPC for the patients!  I'm not going to lie and say I loved them all.  I had 2 especially that I would often ask someone else to room, but I tried VERY hard not to be judgmental of people/patients, and just show them kindness as if I might be the only kind face they saw in a day.  My heart was tugged on by many!  I loved my days where there was an extra sick kid or adult that I got to be extra hospitable to, or where during a procedure my only job was to help keep a kiddo calm, running my fingers through their hair, rubbing their forehead, talking softly to them, telling them how brave they are.  I would go home saying "this is why I am here!".  Those moments I will cherish and remember.  I could tell immediately I had made a difference, instant gratification.  I will miss this!

In July we consolidated staff, a few staff members were effected by this, by consolidating it meant changing what my job duties were and my availability "needed to be flexible to get my hours".  Well my husband gets his schedule Friday for the next week starting Sunday and has to work some evenings or gets off at 6, which makes it really hard to figure out who could be home to relieve the sitter.  I also would be a receptionist, do data entry crap in a cubicle, or room patients and if someone was sick I would be pulled from whatever to go cover that position w/ little consideration or understanding that I thought I was getting off at a certain time and now this position requires I work longer.  GRRR.  Thankful for a paycheck yes, a job that seems to think that my life revolves around them, no thank you!!

When they took me away from my routine patients, stuck me in a cubicle, had my friend ask me to not come talk to her at her desk (which was like 10 minutes a week), when management responds with things like "you should be lucky you got a lunch at all" (after an 8 min lunch to pump and eat on a 13 hour day) or wouldn't give me ONE day past 6 weeks on maternity leave, when they expect you to room double the amount of pt's in 8 hrs (work for 2 providers) than all the other aides w/ no extra pay....I was done!  I WILL NEVER be taken advantage of again!!  They took my passion away when they took me away from the patients especially the my regular patients.  I LOVED what I did, made ALL the other BS worth it when I could help people, have relationships w/ these people, ask them about their grand kids, kids, ask them about their job hunt, house fire recovery, new marriage, college, living situation etc. I knew them, I could hug them, I could share tears w/ them.  They weren't just a patient, they were people.

So beyond a bad manager, gossiping (which I wasn't innocent from), I have done my fair share of gossiping, hasty decisions, I am leaving because ONE I won't be taken advantage of and TWO I'm not leaving my kids for a job I don't enjoy.  They took my love away when they took me and threw me wherever.

I have wanted to start a daycare for over 4/5 years, I bought this house w/ the intent to do that, of course it seemed bugger a few years ago).  I have been scared to open a daycare because of losing the paid holidays, health benefits etc.  My job has been a steady income, with childcare, if someone gets laid off I lose that income etc.  I also was scared to be home all day, on my days off, it's rare we just hang around the house) but now I have a strong community of friends and know I can always call someone to go hang out with to get out of the house in the evenings.  I am thankful to LFPC for giving me that extra push and to ECC for the courage, support and giving me the tools to be able to put God back in my life!!  I am so very thankful for the friends who have encouraged and supported me along the way!  This all together has given me this amazing opportunity to get to spend my days loving kids, helping them develop, and giving kids a safe place to come...all while getting to be the one to raise my kids!  I am forever thankful for my friendships, experiences, relationships, personal growth, birth of my 2 babies, and paychecks at LFPC!  Time has come to move onto something FAR greater than being inside the walls of LFPC as an employee.

I just wanted to share the Truth of why I am leaving LFPC and not the sanitized version of "I wanted to open a daycare". I am SO freaking excited to move on and start my next chapter!

"Cheers" to the past, the things that have built our character to be what we are.  Don't ever settle, always live to grow, and believe in yourself.  Cheers to the present, live in this moment, it's your only guarantee, and Cheers to the future which brings hope and much promise!!  God didn't put us here to just pass time, to be miserable, go brighten lives around you, be kind, be giving, be LOVE!

No comments:

Post a Comment